Remake LegendRO

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 UnknownUser

UnknownUser
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 11:31 PM

I was going to post some sentimental bullshit about how great LegendRO was before but I'll get straight to the point.

I'm not sure how LegendRO is now in terms of management, but I know Tony is being a giant cock sucker and won't hand it over to someone else. But somebody is updating this server still and fixing bugs and etc?

Someone remake LegendRO, a brand new server but slightly revamped to fit the current trends. I'm sure if you advertise and get the word out there, a lot of the current RO community will be interested as a lot of LegendRO members are still active today. Those members are core members of large Woe guilds such as 1437 and etc, although within the recent year, they retired to play Dota.

Why are people still wasting time on LegendRO? Because it's nostalgic and it's the server they played on growing up. But instead of playing on a dead server with a fucked up economy, just remake a new LegendRO server, possibly low~mid rate, 25/25/1 or something like that. Or even just make a mirror image of LegendRO but reset everything. Some people have asked for a wipe, but that's not possible with Tony owning the server, so why hasn't someone just remade the server?

Currently, there are a lot of RO players in the midst of looking for a good stable server. People don't have time like before to grind anymore so make the rates slightly higher. Atm, a lot of servers open and close within 1 year, servers such as FragRO/TervistRO/EstlandRO/SanctityRO/OnceRO/DoM/Xro/ggro and shit ton of others. I talked to a friend who was friends with the notorious Cookie GM, and within ggro's few months of operations, it raked in around 50k USD? So people out there are willing to donate for shit and spend money on a good server. Needless to say, all those servers above died, except DoM/OnceRO since they're both new. DoM is a lowrate with over 1k players atm but its run by shady people.

Anyways, I got side tracked. A lot of players are jumping around servers looking for a good one to stay in. I'm sure a brand new LegendRO would appeal to a shit ton of players. Just advertise via Ratemyserver and word of mouth.
There would be a good initial player base that would move from this server to the new LegendRO.

I've played on LegendRO from 2004~2010 and played on midrates from 2012~now so I know what the current metas are and trends so I can fill anybody in, specifically items/WoE meta.

Somebody should look into this. Because honestly, LegendRO was a fucking Legend. And I feel if some decent effort/dedication is put into this project, it'll attract a huge player base.

Thoughts?

#2 brunobarboni

brunobarboni
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:46 PM

Totally agree!

#3 Pr3vention

Pr3vention
  • Admin
  • 343 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:45 PM

Lina brought this to my attention, and I feel that as a long time Lightside//Legend member, player and off-and-on developer, I have an obligation to respond with my thoughts. It's been at least a year since I last thought of logging in here, so this has been in my mind for a while now.

I agree that LegendRO in its prime was, without a doubt, THE absolutely best server to play on outside of official servers. Large and active community, competitive WoE, player incentives... despite its lack of regular updates, the community and its stability is what kept everyone here. Comparing what we have now to what we were is literally a night/day difference, and any attempts to try and salvage the server in its existing state would simply be detrimental to any meaningful forward progress and would tarnish the memories of what this community used to be. Let's leave the past alone instead of trying to recreate it.

That being said, we have many hurdles to overcome: rebuilding most of the NPCs (eAthena is dead so most scripts won't work as-is), general server infrastructure and setup (not that big of a deal), website and control panel redesign, restructure donation incentives... but most of all reforming management and the image of the community. It doesn't take much effort to notice how poorly things were managed in the last few years. To be quite honest, nearly any resemblence to "Lightside//Legends", "LegendRO", "Clownphobia" etc would only serve to harm us in the end.

Something to that end is not a simple task, and will take a lot of time and effort.

I'm absolutely willing to support a completely new release, but i'm not interested in trying to salvage the mess of what we have. A completely blank slate is the only way I see this working. I speak to Tony, Lina and Shaman regularly, so if anything comes of this, it'll be behind the scenes until something is ready.

#4 UnknownUser

UnknownUser
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:05 PM

I'd argue over the "LegendRO image" hurting in the end. Everyone knows of LegendRO and how great it used to be and the amount of skillful players it produced. I don't recommend naming the server "LegendRO" again, but maybe let people know that the staff/population comprises of the remnants of the LegendRO staff/players, otherwise it'll just be another low rate server out there with no relevance or hype.

As an old player from LegendRO, I can say a few things that'll help you guys start on the right track. Get rid of Tony as he is no good to the server. Someone who doesn't even give a shit and wouldn't even hand the reins over to some other capable people is no good. This servers success can't be attributed to Tony because he only provided the housing for it, it was the players who made LegendRO great.  He hasn't touched RO in years, he has no clue whats good for a server anymore.

But yeah, if you guys actually decide to create a new server, I'd like to be part of the decision making regarding rates/in game things since I've been playing in the recent low/midrate meta for 2 years now and I want to see it done right.

#5 Shaman

Shaman

Segmentation fault

• Developer
  • 1585 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:24 AM

View PostPr3vention, on 09 February 2016 - 05:45 PM, said:

I'm absolutely willing to support a completely new release, but i'm not interested in trying to salvage the mess of what we have. A completely blank slate is the only way I see this working. I speak to Tony, Lina and Shaman regularly, so if anything comes of this, it'll be behind the scenes until something is ready.

:wub:

Have an opinion about me? Hate or love, feel free to post in my feedback thread!

#6 manamachine

manamachine
  • Donor
  • 151 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:36 PM

Hi guys.
i wuz rei

Manamachine  |  Manamark  |  Mana of the Cloth

[Rei(touki) formerly. I don't bloop here no more.]

#7 thevorpalbunny

thevorpalbunny
  • Donor
  • 270 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:32 PM

I think this rant sums up a lot of people's opinion of Tony right now.

I nominate Pr3vention for owner and lead GM if it ever happens. :D

P.S. HAAAAAAAAhahahahahaaaaaah
Bunny Vorpal (Stalker); Vorpal Squirrell (Lord Knight); Vorpal Rat (Whitesmith); Vorpal Gerbil (Clown); Vorpal Kitty (Ninja 1);
Vorpal Hedgehog (Assassin Cross); Vorpal Canary (Sniper); Vorpal Rattler (Gunslinger);
Vorpal Leech (Champion);
Vorpal Kitten (Ninja 2); Vorpal Mouse (High Priest); Vorpal Ocelot (Ninja 3); Vorpal Owl (Creator); Vorpal Piranha (Champion);

Lock 'n' Load Big Shots

Posted Image

#8 Yazoo

Yazoo
  • Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:16 AM

This server is dead. After getting all my gears stolen, Lina and I negotiated and came up with a fair deal. However, there was no action taken on her end. So I have a lot of bitterness here. I am open to a new server, however, it will not succeed. That's the fact here. This game is dead, get over it.

Btw, The majority of players that would actually come back to LLRO are the veterans. It takes a disgusting amount of time to rebuild and reach end game in RO, for this fact alone, a new server would surely fail. I only way to revive this server is to revamp the server and draw in the players from the past.

Yazou - 99/70

The new and improved Big Shot

#9 AnimationX

AnimationX
  • Donor
  • 422 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:35 AM

hey kids

Here's the deal: times have changed. RO is an old game, and people have moved on. A large portion of the playerbase during LegendRO's prime played during their middle/highschool years, and now moved on in life and have less time and more responsibilities. I remember how enjoyable this game was for me, but it's not the same anymore, and I don't even have enough time to dedicate to this game. Even if the entire server is rebuilt, it's not going to yield the results that everyone is expecting it to. Some things don't last forever.
Don't read this.

#10 UnknownUser

UnknownUser
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:13 PM

View PostYazoo, on 23 February 2016 - 11:16 AM, said:

I only way to revive this server is to revamp the server and draw in the players from the past.

That's retarded. You really think people will want to join a 12~13 year old server thats flooded with +9/10s and MVP cards? Nobody is going to even think about it.

Back on topic. I'm just saying, if Pr3vention decides to open a new server with Shaman and whatnot, I'm sure it'll get support from the RO community. My server of 3 years just announced its closing its Pre-renewal server soon. Instead of just giving up, they're creating another mid-rate server with fresh rates and everything. People are always ready to jump on the "hype" server bandwagon. If you made a decent midrate server, you'll get a shit ton of money and population base. Just make sure the WoE/BG is properly done since thats what attracts most players nowadays.

@AnimationX that's why you don't make another lowrate, you make a midrate. Or somewhere between low and mid.

Tbh, the new server that's being opened by my admin is going to have a lot of support and it's because it's new and not flooded with gears anymore.

Up to you guys. I'm just telling you from experience that theres a lot of players looking for a good low-midrate server still.

#11 UnknownUser

UnknownUser
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:14 PM

View PostYazoo, on 23 February 2016 - 11:16 AM, said:

This server is dead. After getting all my gears stolen, Lina and I negotiated and came up with a fair deal. However, there was no action taken on her end. So I have a lot of bitterness here. I am open to a new server, however, it will not succeed. That's the fact here. This game is dead, get over it.

Btw, The majority of players that would actually come back to LLRO are the veterans. It takes a disgusting amount of time to rebuild and reach end game in RO, for this fact alone, a new server would surely fail. I only way to revive this server is to revamp the server and draw in the players from the past.

Lol how do you not find the culprit with a server population of a fucking massive 10?
That's hilarious lol.

#12 Yazoo

Yazoo
  • Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:04 PM

View PostUnknownUser, on 24 February 2016 - 09:14 PM, said:

That's hilarious lol.

Thanks, now, grow up and play something else.

Yazou - 99/70

#13 Shigai

Shigai
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 12:07 AM

"Make LegendRO Great Again"

....Sorry I couldn't help it.

#14 Shigai

Shigai
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:02 AM

@UnknownUser: If you really played this server as long as you say then you should know as well as I do, that adding extra servers to LegendRO is a bad idea no matter what reasons. Once LLRO's, WolfRO closed it should have ended there with the extra servers... But it didn't.

@Staff:
If you think its a waste of your time trying to reboot/update the server at the risk of failure then why not just find and hire people who would actually want to give it a chance, that way at least we can say we TRIED... Better than not trying and assume the worst "all the time". I mean if all or most of the staff here think its pointless then WHY are you even here?! Its your job to keep things operational is it not?

@Everyone:
(Short Version) The reason Tony wants to keep the server is because he uses it in his resumes. Happy now?

@AnimationX:
I liked your post the best because its was neutral and based on facts. And yes I am one of those people you speak of. However in my spare time I do like to play RO for no reason, I mean who says you need a lot of time to play here? Just play a little bit each day and if you don't feel like playing then don't play, that.s what I do anyway.

Also not to be rude or mean of anything but you said "RO is an old game, and people have moved on". Well Pokemon is also an old game (Older) and its doing fantastic. NO I am NOT comparing the two games all I'm saying is it don't matter how old a game is, it all depends on the updates, staff and players. And we have none of those..  And no I have not moved on from Pokemon, never haved and never will (Anyone wanna battle my awesome Zapdos?)

Aaaannnnnnddddddddd I just wasted my time / life typing all of this didn't I ?....   *Sigh* I deserve an angry comment on how stupid I am...

#15 Pegasus

Pegasus
  • Members
  • 1155 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:34 AM

everyone is always up for a fresh start, but how can this server compete against others who have more active admins and updates?

#16 UnknownUser

UnknownUser
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:28 PM

View PostYazoo, on 25 February 2016 - 04:04 PM, said:

Thanks, now, grow up and play something else.

That's funny coming from someone up until recently still played on this server and would still be if he got his gears back. I mean, you got scammed in 2k16, you must either be a 12 year old or you must be retarded, grow up.

#17 UnknownUser

UnknownUser
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:35 PM

View PostPegasus, on 26 February 2016 - 10:34 AM, said:

everyone is always up for a fresh start, but how can this server compete against others who have more active admins and updates?

Hire more admins. When the server is just starting out, maybe 1~2 admin/gms are enough, but if it becomes successful, just hire/recruit more people.

View PostShigai, on 26 February 2016 - 01:02 AM, said:

@UnknownUser: If you really played this server as long as you say then you should know as well as I do, that adding extra servers to LegendRO is a bad idea no matter what reasons. Once LLRO's, WolfRO closed it should have ended there with the extra servers... But it didn't.

@Staff:
If you think its a waste of your time trying to reboot/update the server at the risk of failure then why not just find and hire people who would actually want to give it a chance, that way at least we can say we TRIED... Better than not trying and assume the worst "all the time". I mean if all or most of the staff here think its pointless then WHY are you even here?! Its your job to keep things operational is it not?

@Everyone:
(Short Version) The reason Tony wants to keep the server is because he uses it in his resumes. Happy now?

@AnimationX:
I liked your post the best because its was neutral and based on facts. And yes I am one of those people you speak of. However in my spare time I do like to play RO for no reason, I mean who says you need a lot of time to play here? Just play a little bit each day and if you don't feel like playing then don't play, that.s what I do anyway.

Also not to be rude or mean of anything but you said "RO is an old game, and people have moved on". Well Pokemon is also an old game (Older) and its doing fantastic. NO I am NOT comparing the two games all I'm saying is it don't matter how old a game is, it all depends on the updates, staff and players. And we have none of those..  And no I have not moved on from Pokemon, never haved and never will (Anyone wanna battle my awesome Zapdos?)

Aaaannnnnnddddddddd I just wasted my time / life typing all of this didn't I ?....   *Sigh* I deserve an angry comment on how stupid I am...

I was a player on WolfRO, it was pretty sick.

And when I say "add another server" I don't mean make an extension of this server and put it on the same client. I'm saying make a completely fresh server but hint at a old player base/staff of LegendRO. Hell, you're all saying it wouldn't work but if this project were to go through, I'd bet real money that all of you would at least try the server, which is a success already. The main reason LegendRO has a bad stigma now is because Tony is a fuckhead who doesn't do updates and only wants it on his resume. Obviously Tony won't be part of this project and it'll be under new management.

#18 Yazoo

Yazoo
  • Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:18 PM

View PostUnknownUser, on 27 February 2016 - 02:28 PM, said:

That's funny coming from someone up until recently still played on this server and would still be if he got his gears back. I mean, you got scammed in 2k16, you must either be a 12 year old or you must be retarded, grow up.

I haven't played LLRO seriously since 2010/2011. Nice name calling, child. Grow up.

Yazou - 99/70

#19 ba457

ba457
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 04:50 PM

The community made LLRO great - And I think the majority of us who played here during its prime have moved on. I still log on occasionally, look at my characters and get my nostalgia on. Remaking it won't restore the community.
Lost Score TB[X]

#20 gibs

gibs

Supreme Big Shot

• Donor
  • 170 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:34 PM

This server is dead. Prevention is and always was a guy that offered empty promises.

Gibs! - 99/70
Retired Leader of TDK (2008-2012)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users